Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Reflection #4

This week me and Jenny went to observe a Junior High School technology class in Pleasant Grove.  Mr. Frey was so nice and and gave great advice.  He was a great example in that he had really good classroom management.  I was very impressed how the students came into the class and knew exactly what they were supposed to be doing even after Mr. Frey was gone the whole week due to an illness.  The students got out their projects and were sitting at their tables.  The teacher went to the front of the classroom and went over the objectives of that day's lesson.  He was really personable with the students as well and was continuously praising them and encouraging them that they could do better.  For example, the object of that day's lesson was to construct a bridge on a software program using a maximum of $230,000.  It was easier for some and they finished a lot earlier then every one else.  Instead of just signing them off, Mr. Frey gave them a new goal of getting under $210,000.  It was harder for others to get it under that amount of price, but they eventually got it because they played around with it.  Because of his high expectations, Mr. Frey didn't give away much on how to make a cheaper bridge.  Instead, he gave them some direction and praise, and he let them loose.  Sometimes that is the best way to learn.  The kids were on task the whole time and you could just tell they were having so much fun with it.  I learned so much that day.  Teaching became a reality to me and it hit me hard.  These are real life human beings and they are going to be put into my hands.  It is up to me how I am going to mold their minds and to make sure they are learning-- not just learning it, but also to be able to teach it back to a peer or to their parent.  

I also finished the Gong book and I have to agree with Geoff that it is life-changing.  I think the exponential growth section really hit me hard.  No more just doing the bare minimum to pass by through life.  If we do that then there is no meaning to our purpose here on earth.  We need to reach that point where we want to learn more and have that desire to be constantly improving our minds as well as our hearts.  I really liked the story when a daughter told her mother that she didn't think her church was true.  Instead of getting upset with her, the mother told her daughter to go out and explore other churches and when she finds the true church then they will both join it.  I like the quote that the daughter gave: "It was the first time I realized that it was up to me to seek out the truth in my life-- that my parents had been generous sharing their belief with me, but that they were willing to recognize my questions... that they wanted me to find out the answers to my questions."  Basically, it is up to us to find the truth and not depend on others to find it.  

I think the last couple of pages summed every thing up.  In order for us to reach exponential growth we need to have that desire and that drive, but we also need to put our whole heart into it.  This ties into the three-person model and love.  Giving love in the context of learning is the key to the multidimensional growth of the three-person model.  Stephen Covey talked about the amazing reality that when people in a system are working well together, the results are greater than the sum of the parts. The book defined love as the emotions, desires, and goals that contribute to growth and well-being.  Love grows as it passes from person to person and nobody has to be thrifty love.  There is no such thing as too much love.  Love is a universal things.  It can be a love for your child like how my mom always tells us kids that she grew another heart for each kid she had.  It can be a love for your students if you are a teacher.  It can be a love for someone that bothers  or annoys you.  If we develop that love then any thing can be accomplished.  When a teacher has valuable knowledge and abilities, and when learners own their learning role, and when they understand that the teacher cares for them more then himself, learners will flock to the teacher to receive his knowledge and skill

1 comment:

gaw said...

I am not sure how I feel about the "go and explore your own church" philosophy. Althought, ideally, I agree with the learning premise behind the statement - but once truth is found, I find it interesting that one would want to challenge it (ie. gravity exists, and is real, it is proven, etc. - so why challenge it). Nice post.