Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Reflection # 11

This week we went to teach 6th Graders at an elementary school. It was so much fun and I had a blast with the kids. Of course, it helped a ton that there were 6 of us teaching. I think it would have been a lot harder if it were just me teaching 30 something students. As a group, we had our strengths and our weaknesses. We had a good anticipatory set and Jenny did an awesome job at explaining things. However, I think we underestimated these kids abilities to understand things and we probably didn't need to focus so much on some things, like the taste testing. I loved that we each had a station teaching a certain design element. That really helped me as a teacher since we taught the same thing over and over again. I noticed that I got better each time I taught. I noticed that it really was effective when we got down to the kids level and got on our knees to talk to them. I feel like the kids learned a lot, but may have already known a lot of the things we taught, but understood them better after we pointed out consumer marketing. Some weaknesses I had, was when I was trying to get the whole class to listen to me and it was difficult because all of the kids were busy working on their projects. It was a good thing to experience because I learned that there is a better way to get their attention and it is harder than it seems. Every thing that we have learned so far this semester in 276 has all come together-- from the purpose of teaching to the principles and methods of teaching. I realized that I love teaching and that I love kids. The purpose of teaching is more than just having a job, but to be around these young kids every day. That is such an incredible opportunity. I have an impact on their future and on their learning process. The principles that I learned were reiterated in this more hands on experience then teaching in our 276 class. Proximity is really a huge factor and really is a good teaching method. Also, scaffolding and building upon their answers is a must.

No comments: